Hey correctional officers, we’re going to lay it bare in these best tactical boots for corrections review for 2022.
Being a correctional officer is not an easy task and requires constant standing and walking around, which often results in fatigue and pain in the feet. But having a good pair of tactical boots will keep you comfortable even on the lengthiest shifts.
We’ve reviewed the best and most comfortable tactical boots for correctional officers. Corrections job should be stress-free – and could even be fun. But if you choose the wrong tactical boots, you could pay extra and sacrifice your comfort.
Stick to the best tactical boots reviewed here.
We’ve even broken it down into categories according to need:
The Best Tactical Boots for Corrections
Here are our picks for the best correctional officers’ tactical boots of 2022.
- Best Overall: 5.11 Tactical Men’s ATAC 2.0 8-Inch Shield Military Boots
- Best Runner Up: Under Armour Men’s Men’s Stellar Tactical Boots Military and Tactical Boot
- Best for Wet Environment: Rocky Men’s Alpha Force 8 Inch Side Zip Work Boot
- Best Budget: Bates Men’s Tactical Sport Tactical Shoe
- Best for Hot Weather: Belleville 390 TROP 8” Polishable Black Leather Work and Tactical Boots
- Best Lightweight: Danner Men’s Tachyon 8″ Black GTX Duty Boot
- Best Composite toe: Reebok Men’s Rapid Response Rb Safety Toe 8″ Stealth Boot with Side Zipper
- Reebok Men’s Rapid Response Rb Rb8678-m
- Thorogood 8 Inch Side Zipper Work Boot
- Smith & Wesson Men’s Breach 2.0 Tactical Size Zip Boots – 9″
- Waterproof Leather and Nylon upper material
- Composite toe
- Slip- & oil-resistant outsole
- Achilles flex zone
- Midsole and outsole with a shock mitigation system
- Achilles flex zone for better maneuverability
- Ortholite full-length dual-density insole with a bottom layer of Ortholite foam
- Delivers superior safety in the most unforgiving environments
- Heightened performance and comfort
- CSA Z195-09 is rated for compression, cutting, abrasion, and electrical discharge protection
- It keeps your feet cool, dry, and comfortable all-day
- You can wear them for walking long distances on rough ground without sacrificing comfort
- Made with durable and top quality materials
- The side zip can sometimes be tough to put on
The 5.11 Tactical Men’s ATAC is the best tactical boot for corrections. This boot steps up its profile to give correctional officers heightened comfort and performance during their day-to-day activities.
The boots are very tough and constructed with waterproof leather and nylon upper materials to provide extreme durability and safety in any situation. The boots feature a full-length dual durometer ortholite footbed that works to keep your feet cool, dry, and comfortable all day.
The midsole and outsole of the 5.11 ATAC 2.0 utilize a shock mitigation system to protect and keep you balanced even in the most unforgiving environments. The rubber outsole is slip & oil resistant to provide excellent traction and stability on any surface, so you don’t have to worry about losing your balance when patrolling in the facility.
The insole of the 5.11 2.0.8 tactical boots features an ortholite full-length dual-density insole with a bottom layer of ortholite form for a comfy cushioning feel and rebound and a top layer of ortholite lazy recovery foam for a custom comfortable fit.
The 5.11 ATAC comes with an ASTM/CSA CARBON-TAC composite toe box. An ASTM/CSA puncture-resistant board provides critical protection plus an Achilles heel flex zone to give more range to the critical part of your foot without compromising support and stability.
- Durable water-resistant (DWR) treated leather and 900d nylon textile upper materials
- Quick-dry minimalist design
- Polishable toe
- Molded EVA midsole with reinforced TPU shank for protection & support
- Antimicrobial Ortholite sock liner
- Comfortable right out the box
- Requires no break-in
- Stable and lightweight
- Breathable enough for summer
- Strong ankle support
- Plenty of space available in the toe area
- Not wide enough
The Under Armor Stellar Tactical boots feel great and are perfect for correctional officers looking for quick-dry minimalist design tactical boots.
The Stellar Military and Tactical boots use Under Armor’s famous anti-odor technology and anti-microbial ortholite sock liner to keep your feet smelling fresh and prevent unwanted smells.
The boots have a low profile slip & oil-resistant rubber outsole that provides stability, grip, and traction, so you don’t have to worry about slipping when patrolling in slippery environments. It also comes with a molded EVA midsole with a reinforced TPU shank for support and protection.
Best for Wet Environment: Rocky Men’s Alpha Force 8 Inch Side Zip Work Boot
- Black full-grain water-resistant leather and 1000-denier nylon fabric
- Rocky waterproof construction
- Air-Port™ footbed
- Non-marking RigiTrac™ outsole
- Non-metallic stabilizer
- Tough and durable
- Excellent support and comfort
- Excellent shock absorption and reverts to its earliest shape
- 100% waterproof
- Easy to get on and off quickly
- Very aggressive tread
The Rocky Alphaforce 8-inch is rated by many as the best tactical boot for wet environments. The boots are made with full-grain water-resistant leather and nylon fabric to make a great pair of waterproof tactical boots for corrections officers. The materials are strong and lightweight and can hold up to extreme working conditions.
The boots are built with Rocky waterproof construction, which creates a barrier that guarantees to keep water out to keep your feet dry and comfortable in wet environments. The boot’s outsole is both slip & oil-resistant. It comes with an intelligent arrow-shaped tread pattern that runs across the outsole’s surface, so you don’t need to worry about falling when chasing creatures on soft and slippery terrain while working.
The Rocky Alpha Force has excellent shock absorption, always reverts to its earliest shape, and features an Air-Port footbed made from polyurethane to give you support and comfort.
If you are looking for the best waterproof tactical boots for correctional officers, the Rocky Alpha Force can be the right choice to help you get the job done.
Best Budget: Bates Men’s Tactical Sport Tactical Shoe
- Durable Leather and Performance Nylon Upper
- Moisture-wicking mesh lining
- Cushioned Removable Insert
- Lightweight cushioned EVA midsole
- Slip Resistant Rubber Outsole
- Easy on and off
- Classic styling
- Flexible athletic construction
- Excellent ankle support
- Good for walking
- Not waterproof
For a price lower than $78, the Bates Men’s Tactical Boot is the best budget tactical boot for correctional officers. The boot is made with quality leather and performance nylon upper and comes with a lightweight cushioned EVA midsole to deliver flexibility and performance.
This classic tactical boot is one of Bates’ most popular styles and features a side zipper and lace tight for easy on and off and cushioned removable insert for extra comfort.
The Bates SportTactical boot can be an invaluable asset for corrections officers and is built with quality leather, 1680 ballistic nylon, classic styling, and flexible athletic construction.
The boot features a slip-resistant rubber outsole for grip and traction, removable & replaceable cushioned inserts for added comfort, and moisture-wicking lining to keep your feet dry and comfortable all day.
Best for Hot Weather: Belleville 390 TROP 8” Polishable Black Leather Work and Tactical Boots
- Durable unlined cattle hide leather and nylon fabric upper
- 100% rubber VIBRAM Sierra outsole
- Single density removable insert
- Composite toe
- Running shoe construction
- Ideal for hot weather
- Very tough and durable
- Good arch support and solid feeling sole
- Great ankle support
- Breathable and waterproof
- Quite heavy
The Belleville 390 TROP 8” is the best hot weather tactical boot for corrections. The boot is durable, comfortable, breathable, and waterproof to fit your needs both on and off the clock.
The 390 TROP is designed for service people who work in hot weather and is made with durable unlined cattle hide leather and nylon fabric upper to allow your foot to breathe and shed heat.
The boots offer ample ankle support to help prevent injury and come with a Vibram Sierra outsole that provides tactical traction on varied terrain, so you don’t have to worry about balance or slipping.
The boots feature a single-density molded removable insert and a highly cushioned, shock-absorbing midsole for comfort and support when working on long shifts. It will make great all-purpose hot weather tactical boots for wardens.
Best Lightweight: Danner Men’s Tachyon 8″ Black GTX Duty Boot
- 500 Denier Nylon
- Polyurethane footbed
- Full rubber outsoles
- Polishable toe
- Special speed-lacing hardware
- Best balance between lightweight construction and durability
- Superior shock absorption
- Very snug
- It comes with an additional layer of open-cell construction for improved air circulation
- Athletic design
- Hot weather-specific
- The thread is not aggressive
The Danner Tachyon 8” is the output of research and patience from Danner to make a lightweight tactical boot that can hold up to the rigors of the field.
The Tachyon 8” is athletic-inspired and uses a 500 denier nylon to provide the best balance between lightweight construction and durability out there. The upper is built to be a very bit strong and light and is matched with strategically placed full-grain leather so you can get the feel of a favorite athletic shoe with the strength you always grab your boots for.
The boots come with full rubber outsoles with pentagonal lugs for superior grip and maximum surface contact to hold up longer and better traction while maintaining an athletic feel for comfort and mobility.
The Danner Tachyon 8” tactical boots use a special speed lacing system to tighten your toe top with one swift tug and get a snug fit that hugs your foot quickly to get more time getting the job done.
Best Composite Toe: Reebok Men’s Rapid Response Rb Safety Toe 8″ Stealth Boot with Side Zipper
- 100% Leather
- EVA midsole
- Rubber outsole
- ASTM F2413, XTR Brand Composite Toe Cap
- Electrical Hazard Protection
- Foot Force F2A Athletic Footbed
- YKK side zipper
- Very comfortable for all-day use
- Easy on and off
- Easy to maneuver
- Easy to keep clean
- Airport friendly
- Not waterproof
- Not enough ankle support
The Reebok Rapid Response RB Safety Toe Tactical is the best composite toe tactical boot for corrections. It features an ASTM F24013 rated XTR composite toe cap, a foot force F2A athletic footbed, electrical hazard protection, and a YKK side zipper.
The boot is an athletic-inspired tactical boot and comes with a composite toe box and advanced safety features to keep wardens safe when working in the roughest and most dangerous environments.
The Reebok Rapid Response RB Safety toe boot is 100% leather and features an EVA midsole and a slip-resistant rubber outsole for grip and traction on varied surfaces.
The boots are very comfortable, sturdy, easy to get on and off, easy to maneuver, easy to clean, and come with synthetic insoles for cushioning and support for all-day use.
- 100% leather
- Synthetic sole
- Side zipper
- Electrical hazard protection
- Removable Foot Force F2A polyurethane cushion insert with shock eliminator heel cushion
- Innovative design
- Very comfortable and offers good support
- Athletically inspired and battle-tested
- Positive traction
- Great arch support
- The tongue sometimes sticks out when it is laced up
The Reebok Duty RB868 Rapid Response RB provides correctional officers with superior comfort, arch support, and protection and is tested worldwide by military and law enforcement elites to withstand the most extreme conditions.
The boots feature a removable foot force F2A polyurethane cushion insert with a shock eliminator heel cushion for all-day comfort and electrical hazard protection for extra safety.
The Reebok Duty RB8678 Rapid Response RB is lightweight, athletically-inspired, ready to answer the call when it’s time for action, and provides positive traction, superior comfort, and fitness in the workplace for corrections officers.
- Oil-tanned leather upper
- Slip and oil-resistant rubber outsoles
- Polished toe cap
- Compression-molded EVA midsole
- PU removable footbed
- Very comfortable
- Highly breathable
- Stylish and professional looking
- Solid construction
- Not safety toe
The Thorogood 8 tactical boot comes with dual density rubber outsoles that provide corrections officers with better flexes, absorbs impact, and superior traction even on difficult wet and oily surfaces.
The boot features multi-directional lugs that meet ASTM F2823 slip test standards to help keep you on your feet and a composite shank construction that gives you the flex and strength needed to maintain shape under heavy duress.
The Thorogood 8″ comes with a job-fitted design making them ideal for a range of applications and go-to boots for correctional officers.
- Leather and nylon construction
- Synthetic sole
- EVA midsole
- Rubber outsoles
- Side zipper
- Provides complete protection without compromising comfort
- Lightweight comfort and cradled support
- Soles have excellent tread
- It comes with a gusseted tongue that keeps dirt and debris out
- Reduces foot fatigue during a long shift
- Users report the finish on the toe flicking off
The Smith & Wesson boots are known for their outstanding quality and attention to detail and have set a standard for construction, durability, and price.
The Men’s Breach 2.0 is tough and has a leather and nylon construction to provide full protection without compromising comfort.
The boots will keep you comfortable all day and features an EVA midsole that gives lightweight comfort and comes with a steel shank for added support.
The Men’s Breach 2.0 features slip resistance rubber outsoles engineered to minimize traction and a board-tested construction that creates torsional rigidity to reduce foot fatigue during long shifts.
Best Correctional Officers Tactical Boots Buying Guide
Factors to consider when choosing the best tactical boots for Corrections:
The first thing to look for when looking for the ideal tactical boot. A steel or composite toe box will protect you from injuries while working at correctional facilities.
Apart from steel/composite toe, having a tactical boot with rubber outsoles will provide grip and traction on various surfaces. This will provide stability and resistance on wet, ice, oil, and slippery surfaces.
Comfort is another important factor to consider when buying tactical boots for corrections. You want a tactical boot that will keep you comfortable all day. This is key to enhancing your general comfort and overall fit throughout the day.
Ideally, you will want a tactical boot with high padded support. This will add another layer of protection to your feet and shield you from harmful debris, potential cuts, or scrapes.
You want the best bang for your buck since tactical boots are among the most important gear for correctional officers. Buying cheap tactical boots that are not comfortable and can not withstand extreme conditions will put you at risk of injuries, or you will abandon the boots.
Darren is the main author of Tactical Angle. He’s also an avid survivalist and backpacker. He spends his time hiking, hunting, and climbing mountains.